Vision 2020, it Delegates and its National Allies are in full swing today, informing, educating and advocating for equal pay for women.
Below are some of the great activities going on today and later this week, this month and into June. Please spread the message about how unequal pay impacts women and their families. Unequal pay penalizes women and their family’s economic security during their working lives and follows them into retirement. It is time to end it!
1. AAUW kicked off a two-month nationwide fair pay campaign, complete with updated wage gap data, a new webpage, shareable images, an interactive salary calculator, and more. All of this moves toward the June 10th 50th anniversary of the Equal Pay Act.
Of particular interest and new this year: AAUW’s AAUW’s new fact sheets on the gender pay gap by state and congressional district, with rankings within each state.
AND AAUW has a new webpage: fightforfairpay.org, which features stories of pay discrimination, action items, and interactive resources for learning more about the pay gap. The new salary calculator is definitely a highlight!
2. National Women’s Law Center’s new resources for Equal Pay Day:
- Wage Gaps by state: a new interactive wage gap map: http://www.nwlc.org/wage-gap-state-state
- New fact sheet on how the wage gap hurts women and families: http://www.nwlc.org/resource/how-wage-gap-hurts-women-and-families
- New fact sheet on the wage gap and women of color: http://www.nwlc.org/resource/closing-wage-gap-crucial-women-color-and-their-families
- New fact sheet on explaining the wage gap: http://www.nwlc.org/resource/explaining-wage-gap
- An OpEd by Emily Martin appears today: http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2013/0409/Equal-Pay-Day-Raising-minimum-wage-will-help-women-and-the-economy?nav=90-csm_category-topStories
3. Do You Care About Equal Pay?
Join the ABA Gender Equity Task Force – Young Lawyer Social Media Working Group’s Equal Pay Day Twitter Chat #EPLaw
Laurel G. Bellows – President, American Bar Association (@laurelbellows) and Vision 2020 National Advisor
Marcia D. Greenberger – Co-President, National Women’s Law Center (@nwlc)
Yolanda Young – Founder, On Being a Black Lawyer (@OBABL)
Moderated by Ms. JD (@msjdtweets)
Tuesday April 9, 2013, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. CT
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
4. Catalyst’s statement on Equal Pay Day can be found here: http://www.catalyst.org/media/catalyst-statement-equal-pay-making-every-day-equal-pay-day
5. And the U.S. Department of Labor is hosting an equal pay Web chat this Friday, April 12, at 1 p.m. EDT. You’ll be able to ask experts about the current state of women’s wages, and how Labor Department resources can help workers and businesses pursue pay equality. Representatives from the department’s Office of the Chief Economist, Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs and Women’s Bureau will address the current pay gap and ongoing policy initiatives.
PLEASE SELECT ONE OF THESE MANY ACTIVITIES OFFERED HERE AND GET INVOLVED!